"Life is art, and you are the artist." ~ Unknown
There are times when we have an opportunity to look at life as a blank canvas; it's a chance to start anew. At the end of each relationship, for example, we are able to place a bright, white canvas in front of us. We have the ability to move forward, painting the picture we want for our future.
But how do we achieve this?
How do we create something better than the one before?
Here are a few ways:
1) Examine our past. What did we create last time? Would we want to replicate some aspects of it? What could have been better? What did we like the least?
2) Make choices for our future. From taking time to examine our past, what decisions have we made for our future? What do we want it to look like this time?
3) Write a list. Once you know what you want, write it down as a reminder. This will keep you from shifting too much from what you have sketched out for your future.
4) Don't settle. As the canvas has brush strokes added, don't forget the plan you sketched out for the future. It isn't to say you can't deviate, but don't compromise so much that you lose happiness and fulfillment in the process.
5) Enjoy. Sometimes we focus so hard on our past and future, that we forget to enjoy the present. Fully embrace each new brush stroke, and every detail of the work of art you are creating with another.
6) Don't be afraid of a blank canvas. It's okay to recognize a relationship needs to end; it's not a sign of failure. Learn from the experience, and create something even more beautiful the next time.
Things happen in life that are beyond our control, but it is our decision how we choose to grow as an artist from each experience.
Life is what we make of it.
Make yours a masterpiece.