Note: This is a guest post from Zen to Fitness. Zen to Fitness has a passion for fitness and living a simple life – along with reading, writing, and travel. About six months ago, he began eating an improved diet of whole foods, while also adding more exercise – and he has seen great results from this.
Keeping Fit While Traveling
Fitness and Nutrition while on Holiday/Traveling is harder than we come to expect. Staying in shape during these times can be a test of will and dedication. I have picked up the following tips that helped me keep in shape during my busiest periods:
- Eat a light breakfast or fast if you do not exercise that morning. Usually I will get up and get going picking up a black coffee en route followed by some fresh fruit/nuts and cold water. This normally keeps me full until midday time if I haven’t exercised. Plus it keeps me mentally sharp and feeling light. If I do exercise that morning I will have a more substantial breakfast around 1 hour after the workout – something along the lines of some eggs/bacon and fruit or a high fiber breakfast like yogurt, nuts and berries.
- Improvise with your workouts. Go for short runs with sprints and jumping squats mixed in, do pull-ups in playgrounds and do loads of pushups (put some books in a backpack to add weight to these). Use your suitcase as a weight. Keep your workouts short and intense and play as much as you can.
- Want a $10 (or less) gym? Buy a used backpack. Now do 3sets of 10 reps of pushups, pullups, lunges (up a hill), 1 legged squats. Add weight to the backpack to increase your resistance. No excuse not to workout, adjust weights as needed….and if you really want some fun, hold the weighted backpack over your head while you lunge up a hill (disclaimer – my version of fun may be different from yours).
- Try to explore by renting a bike or going for a jog if your in a new city.
- Don’t get too tied up with what you eat! Often our eating is a little less controlled. We need to socialize and that may mean eating pizza, ice cream, cake whatever. Just try to eat wholesome foods 80% of the time and eat what life throws at you for the other 20%. I usually find after an evening of bad eating my will to eat well and exercise is far stronger.
- Enjoy the fresh Local things. I always find that when traveling, the best foods are always things like the local fruits and vegetables, or cheeses – so enjoy these things. They are great for you and may be something you won’t be able to get again at home.
- If you have a big dinner with drinks, etc and over indulge – go for a quick run fasted in the morning. This will help flush the toxins out of your body and burn up last nights food. Morning is a great time to exercise while traveling, as it leaves you with the rest of the day to do what you want.
- Remember to keep your brain fit. When traveling you have less distractions and more time to read.
Finally, enjoy the journey, have fun, try new things, and keep fit. At times it will seem hard to go for a workout or run, but you will always feel better afterwards.