Love keeps us together, right? But what happens when our society portrays love through perfection, wealth, lust, and greed? What do we teach our children about love? With a skewed definition in place, it is even more important to share with our family the true meaning of love: which encompasses hope, positive behavior, strength and giving unconditionally.
Sometimes to achieve the positive effects of an emotion, we must let go of other emotions that are taking up too much energy. So to let Love in, We must let other emotions OUT. This means getting rid of anger, guilt, resentment, and judgment.
L= Let Go of negative destructive emotions
1. Raise awareness of when you are putting yourself or others down
a. Carry a notebook for a day, and write down when a negative thought comes in
b. Carry a golf clicker and keep track
2. Notice where you are feeling these emotions in your body: your chest, shoulders, neck, stomach? Where do they seem to concentrate the most?
3. Breath….as you exhale, practice seeing those thoughts dissipate into thin air, as you inhale, practice replacing those emotions with a positive one, such as joy, happiness, love, life, forgiveness.
When we hold on to destructive emotions, we hold ourselves back from the many benefits of love. Let go of negative and destructive emotions. Let LOVE in.
O=Open your heart to new possibilities
1. Start with HOPE and let go of JUDGEMENT
One can be hopeful or judgmental, but you cannot be both at the same time!
2. Act like a kid. Kids don't think too much about going into new situations, they just go with the flow, open to any outcome because they don't have any preconceived ideas about how it is "supposed" to flow. Next time you enter a new situation, try to clear your mind and let whatever happens unfold without placing any undue expectation on the event. See what happens.
3. Recognize that opening up can be painful but also healing. Healing takes TIME
Open your heart to new possibilities. Let LOVE in.
Healing just isn't going to happen without love. See yourself being loved. Take note of every source where you feel yourself being loved. See yourself being worthy of triple the love you currently feel.
There is almost always more love for us to encounter than we can ever imagine. Visualize love. Let LOVE in.
E=Educate yourself on Emotional Intelligence!
Emotional intelligence represents an ability to validly reason with emotions and to use emotions to enhance thought. We are not used to this in our society. Most of us were taught to suppress emotions at a young age, but educating yourself on how emotional intelligence can help you gain clarity and enhance emotions such as love.
EI has potential to bring in more love and meaning into our daily interactions at work, family, and in our community.
Educate yourself on Emotional Intelligence. Let LOVE in.
Love, the right kind of love, will not only bring us together. It will, indeed, keep us together. Let LOVE in.
by Jen Slayden